Embed Instagram Post Code Generator

Sunday, September 13, 2009

ANG LEE!!!!!!!

Just reached Tokyo. Only staying for a night. Flying back to Malaysia tomorrow morning. Next stop, Singapore Short Film Festival, where my little-seen experimental video FLEETING IMAGES is competing.

11th of September. Didn't go anywhere during my last day at the Venice Film Festival. Wanted to explore Venice with the rest of the KINGYO team, but there were screenings to go to, things to settle, people to talk to, so I ended up staying in the festival instead.

The last film screening I went to was THE HOLE, because it's not everyday you get to see a 3D film in a film festival, let alone the Venice Film Festival. I won't comment much on the film itself, but before the film started, I was already excited because I spotted Ang Lee.


So when the film ended, I hurried towards Ang Lee (with Ming Jin) and spoke to him, introducing ourselves as Malaysian filmmakers with films competing in the festival (Ming Jin's WOMAN ON FIRE LOOKS FOR WATER was a last-minute surprise entry under the Orrizonte section, which means that I actually had not one, but TWO films at the festival, one as director, and one as producer!)

Of course I told Ang Lee I really loved his films, and he said "thanks", then I asked to take a photo with him, and here it is!

With Ang Lee after Joe Dante's The Hole screening (Venice Film Festival 2009)


I lament the fact that I didn't explore Venice more. But I don't think this will be the last time I'll be in the Venice Film Festival. But to see my hero Ang Lee, whoohoo!