Embed Instagram Post Code Generator

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Shilin Night Market and Pirated DVDs

Photos I took of the Taipei Train Station during the day, along with the buildings nearby:


Taipei Railway Station

Taipei Railway Station 2

Streets of Taipei

Streets of Taipei 2


Colourful, but not really my favourite place of the city, I personally preferred the Taipei 101 area I visited the day before.

At night, Uncle Beau, mom and I went to the famous Shilin Night Market, the biggest night market in Taiwan and also the focal point for Taipei's night life among residents and visitors alike. It's also a gathering of babes

Now, these photos will be a little blurry because I tend to take night photos without using flash, and without flash, the camera's more sensitive to movements.

Shilin Night Market

Shilin Night Market 2

Shilin Night Market 3

Shilin Night Market 4

Shilin Night Market 5


From Wikipedia:

The night market encompasses two distinct sections sharing a symbiotic relationship: a section formerly housed in the old Shihlin Market building containing mostly food vendors and small eateries; and the surrounding businesses and shops selling other nonfood items.

Due to safety, sanitation, and fire hazard concerns, the old Shilin Market structure was demolished in October 2002 by the Taipei City Government; the food vendors formerly based within the old structure were relocated to a newer temporary structure a few hundred meters away next to the MRT Jiantan Station.


And that's where we went for dinner, mom and I chose a teppanyaki stall.

Teppanyaki stall

Teppanyaki meal


The food was so delicious that I think it may have been one of the best I've ever eaten in Taiwan throughout my trip.

The rest of the building looks like this, all food vendors and eateries:

Shilin Night Market (food section)

Shilin Night Market (the food section) 2

The original Bubble Tea


I also tried out the Bubble Tea (or Pearl Tea) for the second time of the day. The drink originated from Taiwan, and I have to say that after trying out authentic Taiwanese Bubble Tea, all other good Bubble Teas that I have in other shops of other countries (Singapore and Perth) felt like cheap knock-offs. I'm not kidding, I always thought that I had some good Bubble Tea in Perth, but they paled in comparison with what I had.

After meal, I returned to the outdoor section of the night market for a walk, and wandered into an alley, there was a shop selling female clothings AND DVDs of TV dramas from Taiwan, Japan and Korea, all box sets. I looked at the box sets and spotted Takuya Kimura's latest dorama, Karei-naru Ichizoku. I asked for the price and gasped when the guy told me it's NT$900 (that's RM90).

"Or... you can buy the NT$100 version." The guy said, his eyes darting over to the dressing rooms at the back of the shop, probably a hidden stash of... 'cheaper' DVDs.

"Ah." I smiled.