Embed Instagram Post Code Generator

Sunday, February 27, 2005

My Oscar 2005 Predictions.

All right, here are my Oscar predictions. Like the Golden Globes, I'm only going to look at the major categories. One is my prediction, the other's my preference.



ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Jamie Foxx is a definite lock. So I'm going for him. It's going to be a miracle for him NOT to win this one.

Prediction: Jamie Foxx
Preference: Jamie Foxx

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alan Alda's nomination is a reward, Jamie Foxx will win the Best Actor, so he won't win this one. Morgan Freeman had won one before for Driving Miss Daisy long ago, I wonder whether he might win one again? (although winning in the Screen Actors' Guild award makes him a favourite) Clive's victory in the Golden Globes is kinda a surprise. I'll go with Thomas Haden Church since he was wonderful and I love Sideways.

Prediction: Thomas Haden Church
Preference: Thomas Haden Church

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Hilary Swank is almost a lock like Jamie Foxx. But there might be some surprises in this category. Kate Winslet winning it would be pretty nuts.

Prediction: Hilary Swank
Preference: Kate Winslet

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Virginia Madsen was simply fabulous in Sideways and she, along with Cate Blanchett, is the favourite for this. But since I like Sideways more, I'll go with her.

Prediction: Virginia Madsen
Preference: Virginia Madsen

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Shrek 2 is so overrated.

Prediction: The Incredibles
Preference: The Incredibles

ART DIRECTION

The Aviator, being a large-scale epic, might get something for this. But I'm rooting against it. I thought some scenes in Finding Neverland were pretty magical.

Prediction: The Aviator
Preference: Finding Neverland

CINEMATOGRAPHY

I may not like The Aviator, but I hate House of Flying Daggers more. Go, Aviator.

Prediction: The Aviator
Preference: The Aviator

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

Sideways is the hot favourite for this one.

Prediction: Sideways
Preference: Sideways

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an awesome screenplay.

Prediction: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Preference: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

DIRECTING

Yes, everyone's saying that it's between Martin Scorsese (who, despite this legendary status, had NEVER won an Oscar before) and Clint Eastwood (who is the hot fave for this). Clint took the Director's Guild award, so he will probably take this one. Though I ain't rooting for these two old men.

Prediction: Clint Eastwood
Preference: Alexander Payne

BEST PICTURE

It's a Million Dollar Baby vs The Aviator, most said. But I want Sideways to win. My love for the movie has messed up my predictions. But it's possible that people are so divided between both favourites that they end up choosing Sideways instead. Happened back in the 80s when Chariots of Fire won.

Prediction: Sideways
Preference: Sideways